Our Story

Established over 100 years ago, Woodmont Country Club continues to be the very essence of tradition, elegance and exceptional service that truly makes our Members consider the Club as their “home away from home.”

The elegant design of Woodmont's Clubhouse, incorporates several dining venues, a grand ballroom perfect for special events and an expansive Fitness & Wellness Center. This spacious building overlooks Woodmont’s two premiere golf courses, the North and South Golf Courses, known across the country for their spectacular championship play. Both courses have received rave reviews by numerous golfers throughout the years.

The view also includes the Pool, Kiddie Pool for our youngest members, and the ever popular Pavilion Snack Bar, which offers casual dining poolside. Tennis, rounds off the landscape by featuring 16 Har-Tru outdoor courts and six state-of-the-art cushioned indoor courts in the beautifully appointed climate-controlled Tennis Facility. This magnificent building is regarded as one of the premier facilities in the country.

As we have evolved over the years, Woodmont, with its impeccable amenities, exceptional staff and long history of excellence continues to take extraordinary care of its Members, their families and guests as they not only celebrate special occasions and events, but as they simply enjoy taking refuge from daily life within this beautiful oasis.

Woodmont has truly withstood the test of time as one of the premier country clubs in the Washington metropolitan area and beyond.

  • Landmarks of our First Century
    • February, 1913: Washington Suburban Town House (1913-1916)

      Nine community leaders signed the Certificate of Incorporation that established the forerunner to today’s Woodmont Country Club. Those signatories represented a larger group of 46 gentlemen who were active members of DC’s Pro- Hex Town Club and ready to experience a relaxed setting of a country club that they could call their own.

      Washington Suburban Town and Country Club
      (1913-1916)

      December, 1916: Town and Country L’Aiglon Mansion Town House (1916-1922)

      Octagon-Excelsior and Mercantile merged. The new 100-member organization assumed the name Town and Country Club, reflecting the decision to operate a second location in town for the convenience of weeknight activities.

      Town & Country Club
      L'Aiglon Townhouse Mansion
      (1916-1922)

      September, 1922: Town and Country Club (1922-1930)

      The Town and Country Club moved into a 116-acre property on Rockville Pike in Bethesda. “Woodmont” was the name of the road off Rockville Pike that led to the Clubhouse.

      Town and Country Club
      (1922-1930)

      April, 1930: Woodmont Country Club

      It took eight years for the name to become official, hence Woodmont Country Club.

      May, 1947

      The Club leased 10 additional acres and developed a proper 18-hole golf course. Within months, the U.S. government threatened to condemn and take the Club’s property and other adjacent properties to enable the neighboring National Institutes of Health to expand its critical post-war medical research mission.

      August, 1948

      Woodmont settled with the government and by the fall of 1948 had secured a new property five miles north of their current location.

      July, 1950

      The Club moved to the 515-acre property in Rockville, Maryland. Personally selected and purchased by Leopold V. Freudberg in a visionary transaction that earned him the name “Mr. Woodmont.” Freudberg turned its 500 scrubby, weedy, clover-covered and mostly barren acres into a scenic playground. While Mr. Freudberg concentrated on perfecting the land and creating two courses-one competitive and renowned-others focused on building the heart of the Club, additional sports facilities and the Clubhouse that has served us for 60+ years.

      The 1960's - 1980's

      The golf course side of the Clubhouse covered in snow.
      The infamous 1960's brought a bit of international flair to Woodmont. Memories being made!

      Woodmont Country Club
      (c. 1961)

      2011, 2013 and 2015

      Woodmont selected as the winner in the “Best of Bethesda” readers’ poll for “Best Place for a Bar/Bat Mitzvah.”

      Woodmont Country Club
      (1981-2015)

      September, 2015

      Members, families and guests celebrate Woodmont Country Club’s 100th birthday and grand reopening of the newly renovated Clubhouse.

      Woodmont Country Club
      (2015-present)

  • Landmark Golf & Tennis Events
    • September, 1953 - Golf

      National Celebrities Open Championship

      June, 1986 - Golf

      Men's US Open Sectional Qualifier - Woodmont began hosting this event in 1986 and has continued through 30 out of the last 31 years.

      May, 1996 - Tennis

      Corel Champions Exhibition Tour.

      1997 - Tennis

      USTA Boys 16 and Under National Clay Court Championships were hosted by Woodmont Country Club from 1997 - 2007.

      2001 - Tennis

      USTA Boys 16-18 and Under National Clay Court Championships were hosted by Woodmont Country Club from 2001 - 2007.

      May, 2010 - Golf

      Women's US Open Sectional Qualifier - Woodmont hosted this event in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

  • Logout